Edinburgh

Aberdeen Joint

Opened as Aberdeen Joint: 4th November, 1867.
Rebuilt: 1913-1916.
Renamed Aberdeen: 1952.

Aberdeen Joint Station was opened by Great North of Scotland Railway and Scottish North Eastern Railway to replace the Aberdeen Railway's Guild Street Station and the Great North of Scotland Railway's Waterloo Station. The Joint Station originally consisted of three through roads faced by a single platform, plus four bay platforms. The station was later expanded to four through platforms and four bay platforms at each end. The north end of the station was drastically cut back in the early 1970s with a shopping centre being built above the site. Only two through platforms remain at this now dark and unpleasant end of the station.


North British Railway Class H 4-4-2 No. 871 Thane of Fife waits to leave Aberdeen Joint Station with the 5.45 express for the south in 1922. The locomotive had been rebuilt with a superheater in October 1921, and had also received a larger dome and straight, full-width running-plate and cab. No. 871 was built by the NBL Co. end entered service in June 1906. It was withdrawn as LNER No. 9871 in January 1935. [R.D. Stephen, National Railway Museum]

Collapse )
Edinburgh

Nigg Bay


Ex-LNER Class V4 2-6-2 No. 61700 Bantam Cock and ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44979 climb past Nigg Bay with the 'up' The Granite City on 20th August, 1954. Pilot locomotives on this train often worked as far as Forfar. [W.J.V. Anderson]

Collapse )

Brechin

Opened: 1st February, 1848.
Closed to passengers: 4th August, 1952.


Ex-LMSR Class 4P 4-4-0 No. 40939 departs from Brechin with an excursion train for Guthrie on 12th July, 1952, a few weeks prior to closure of the Brechin branch to passenger traffic. Brechin station is just out of sight beyond the road bridge to the extreme left of the picture, while the line to Edzell, and Forfar via Careston, can be seen climbing away steeply to the right behind the locomotive's tender. [J.L. Stevenson]

Collapse )

Bridge of Dun

Opened: 1st February, 1848.
Closed: 4th September, 1967.
Reopened: 1993.


Ex-LNER Class A2 4-6-2 No. 60527 Sun Chariot restarts The Grampian, the 13.30 Aberdeen to Glasgow Buchanan Street train, from Bridge of Dun on the wet afternoon of 7th September, 1963. [W.A.C. Smith]

Collapse )

Dubton Junction

Opened: 1st February, 1848. Closed: 4th August, 1952.


Ex-CR 0-6-0 No. 57324 stands at Dubton Junction with the 14.00 Montrose - Brechin train, 28th October, 1950. Dubton Junction was adjacent to the village of Hillside, and a short branch from Montrose joined the main line here. In the summer timetable of 1951, only eight main-line trains were booked to call, and the station closed on 4th August, 1952, along with passenger services between Montrose and Brechin. [J.L. Stevenson]

Collapse )

Carmont


Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44998 crosses Bridge No. 325 to the east of Carmont Signal Box on the 1-in-102 climb from Stonehaven with the 17.30 SX Aberdeen to Perth train on 31st August, 1965. At the time, this train was booked to be worked by an ex-LNER Class A4 4-6-2, but No. 44998 appeared again on the following day, suggesting that the booked locomotive was under repair. [Ken Plant]

Collapse )

Farnell Road


Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44794 heads the 13.30 Aberdeen to Glasgow Buchanan Street train past the site of Farnell Road station on 28th May, 1966. The locomotive is working hard at this point as it has just begun the four-mile-long climb of Farnell Road bank, the gradients of which varied from 1-in-100 at the foot to 1-in-143 just before the summit on the approach to the former Glasterlaw station. Farnell Road was amongst the isolated wayside stations which closed in the mid-1950s. In the summer 1951 timetable, Farnell Road was served by two trains in each direction on weekdays, but this meagre service was better than that of Glasterlaw which had been closed in April 1951. [D. Hume]

Collapse )